Enos School Partnership
SIU School of Medicine has been part of the Springfield Public School District #186 Partners in Education Adopt-a-School program since 1985. So, we are celebrating our 35th year in partnership with Enos Elementary in 2020! A volunteer committee of employees coordinate efforts each year.
SIUSOM shows support through:
- Mentoring / tutoring programs provided by medical students and employees.
- An annual art exhibit of Enos art projects in SIU's Bohn Nielsen Lobby.
- Faculty and staff read to individual students or classes.
- Shoes That Fit, a program organized by SIU medical students to provide shoes for elementary students.
- A faculty luncheon during Teacher Appreciation Week in May.
- Blue bins marked “Enos” around the medical school collect donations at different times of year for:
- School supplies each August, including notebooks, backpacks, pens and pencils, and art supplies.
- New and gently used children’s items each winter, including clothing such as hats, mittens, scarves and coats.
- Book Giveaway each spring, for Enos students to take home for summer reading.